The Planning and Building Law of 1965 establishes a hierarchical framework for Israeli institutions which deal with planning and construction. These include the National Planning and Building Council, six regional planning and construction committees, and 126 local planning and construction committees. Alongside every planning committee, there is a professional body that supports and assists the committee for planning and construction. Alongside the National Planning and Building Council there the Israel Planning Administration. Alongside the regional committees are district planning committees. Local planning and infrastructure committees support the local committees.
The planning committees are committed to accompanying the preparation, discussion, and approval of plans. The composition of the planning committees varies from committee to committee and is usually determined by law. Within this framework, environmental organizations have representation in most national and provincial planning institutions.
The planning institutions are made up of representatives of various entities, usually most of them governmental representatives, but there are also local authorities representatives, public representatives, and civil society representatives. The purpose of the variety of representatives in each committee is to make sure that planning takes into account all the needs, interests and considerations of all parties involved.
Sitting in planning institutes and editorial committees enables environmental organizations to engage in decision-making processes and influence them.
* National Planning and Building Council
* National Committee for Planning and Building Preferred Housing Compounds (and MLAs)
* The Coastal Environmental (and Foreign Policy) Committee
* The Committee for the Conservation of Agricultural Land and Open Areas (and the CCP)
* National Infrastructure Planning and Building Committee
* District Planning and Building Committee – Northern District
* District Planning and Building Committee – Haifa
* District Planning and Building Committee – Southern District
* District Planning and Building Committee – Tel Aviv District
* District Planning and Building Committee – Central District
* District Planning and Building Committee – Jerusalem District